If you enjoy painting and drawing and own an iPad you owe it to your creative self to check out some of the different art apps you can download for iPad. Since the release of the retina iPad the last few years have seen an explosion of sketch and drawing apps being added to the App Store.
Some will shun the digital canvas of the iPhone and iPad but many artists have embraced the digital format and taken advantage of everything a digital canvas can offer. Instant undos? The ability to split your work across multiple layers. Instant access to millions of fellow artists with which to share and critique work. Access thousands of custom brushes and mix and discover your colour pallate with ease. The ability to record your workflow and find out exactly how you work (check out some of the speed drawing videos on YouTube and you'll be impressed at what people are creating on iPad)
As always, AppWalls are here to help you find the right art app for you. Check out our selection of the best artistic creation apps below. Whether you're a novice and just want to doodle away or you're a bit of a Van Gough in the making, we've selected something for everyone below so have a look through and hopefully you'll find something that fits your needs.
Procreate is a feature rich illustration app that's optimised to run on the latest iPads. The app takes full advantage of 64 bit processors ensuring your device isn't throttling your creativity.
- 4K Canvas size
- Optimised architecture built for 64-bit processors
- iPad Air & iPad mini with Retina display
- Dropbox options for easy sharing
- Gesture controls keep your workflow fast
- 120 preset brushes with 25+ customisation options for every brush
- Advanced layering system keeps your work organised
- Social sharing options
- Record every stroke in 1080p resolution
Meritum Paint Pro is the advanced version of Meritum Paint for iPhone and iPad. The pro version includes more tools and features than the standard version and is a better choice for more experienced artists who want more from their painting apps.
It doesn't matter whether you're an experienced artist or you've only just found your artistic side, Artstudio is one of the best art apps you can download for iPad.
- 16 tools: select, pencil, wet paintbrush, dry paintbrush, spray, dots, eraser, smudge, bucket fill, gradient, text, clone, heal, blur/sharpen, dodge/burn, eyedropper
- Custom brushes
- Supports bluetooth styluses
- Over 40 filters included
MyBrushes Pro allows you to create works of art on unlimited canvas sizes and records the full painting process from start to finish.
- Unlimited canvas size
- Unlimited layers
- Unlimited rollbacks/undo/redo
- Supports pressure sensitive stylus
- Share artwork to Facebook and Twitter
- Includes 50 background templates
If you want a more natural feel to your painting the ArtRange iPad app might just be for you. It's one of the few painting apps available where your paints react with the canvas and each other to give you a more realistic feel and result.
- Natural painting tools include oils and watercolors which react to how you paint
- Create your artwork on realistic canvases
- Blend colours with your brush as you paint
- Smear pigment with the palette knife
- Unlimited layers
- Record you paintings
It's great creating drawings but we all want to share our work with people and receive feedback. Sketch Club isn't just an illustration app, it's also built around an online community where you can give and receive feedback and ratings. The community also inspires people with weekly competitions and daily challenges.
- Online community includes brush library, backgrounds and colour templates
- 44 built in brush presets
- Create brushes from photos
- 20 layers help keep your work organised
- Post to Facebook, save to iTunes, Dropbox and more...
- Daily challenges and weekly competitions help motivate and inspire
- Chat directly within Sketch Club while you're working
- Gain insight from other artists using tutorials, speed painting videos and live classes
- Over 600,000+ pieces of artwork to admire and rate
Drawing Pad is an art creation app aimed at everyone and is especially great to use with children. The simple layout and photorealistic brushes, along with downloadable colouring books, ensure children and parents can have endless fun creating artwork together.
- Crayons and Markers
- Paint Brushes and Coloured Pencils
- Roller Stamp Pens
- Text Sticker Tool
- Import photo background
- Includes two colouring books
The The industry standard for digital sketching? That's what the guys who built SketchBook Pro say, and there's not many people who disagree given it's consistently high ratings in the App Store.
- Custom canvas sizes
- Over 100 brushes which can be customised
- Store work in a gallery
- iCloud support allows you to work across multiple devices
- Customise the UI
- Record a time-lapse and save speed drawings into your photo library