If you haven't got time for the gym but still want to improve your fitness, specificially your upper body strength, there's no better exercise than the humble push-up. The beauty of push-ups is you don't need much space to do them and there's no equipment involved. Just you, working against your own body weight, simple and accessible to everyone.
To help you on your way to mastering push-ups we've selected some of the best push-up apps to guide you to your goals. Many of the push-up apps listed provide you with a training plan to reach that magic number of 100 pushups in a single set (I know, it sounds crazy, but it is achievable with a little time and effort on your part). Check out the push-up apps listed below and hopefully there's something for you. If you're hvaing difficulty reaching 100 push-ups don't worry, head over and check out our listing of The Best Sit Up Apps. Strengthening your core will help you break through 100 push-ups in no time.
The people at Runtastic know a thing or two about fitness apps and they've brought their knowledge and skills together to brings us one of the the highest rated Push Up apps available for your iPhone.
- 3 levels of difficulty to choose from
- Automated pushup count using your iPhones inbuilt proximity sensor
- Countdown timer between sets
- Leaderboard and social media sharing
If you're in the Charlie Bronson category when it comes to smashing out pushups, you might want to take your pushup training to the next level with Pushups Extreme.
- 10 week course designed to get you to 200 pushups
- Includes audio coach to keep you on track
- Gamification features, earn badges and achievements
- Includes stretching and warmup videos
The standard pushup is awesome and it's the only exercise you need to increase your upper body strength. But there are many variations on the standard pushup, and the Xfit Push Up app is just what you need to find out what they are.
- Over 40 unique exercises
- Exercises are accompanied by audio descriptions and videos to ensure you're completing exercises with the correct form
- 5 levels of difficulty
- Lolo's beat-sync technology matches your music tempo to the workout
Pushups Coach - Do 100 Push Ups is another iPhone pushups app that'll help you strengthen your upper body through pushups only.
- 3 levels of training from beginner to advanced
- Track calories burnt per session
- Supports multiple users
- Custom plans available once the default one is completed
If you're familiar with the 5K training apps you'll know the guys over at Zen Labs go all out to bring us the best fitness apps, and Pushups Trainer Pro is no exception.
- A simple 1, 2, 3 step system to get you started
- Simple and easy to use interface
- Select between 5 and 10 minutes workouts
- Supports both custom and randomised workouts
- Optimised for iPhone and iPad
If you want to start doing pushups but don't know what level you're at you should check out Pushups Trainer, it can automatically generate programs based around your current level of fitness.
- iOS 7+ support
- Automatic counting (requires iPhone)
- Auto generation of program based on your current fitness level
- In-built timer ensures you get enough rest between sets
Go from 0 to 100+ pushups within 9 weeks. PushUps for Beginners will help you build up your upper body strength over time.
- Incremental training helps you go from zero to 100 within a 9 week time period
- Gain strength and muscle in your upper body
- Workouts last 15-20 minutes
- Visual graphs allow you to monitor your progress
- Share your achievements on Facebook and Twitter